Wednesday 14 June 2017

Theatre in Education (13) - The argument

Today we worked on the argument section from the girls part onwards. We wanted this to be very physical and quite realistic to make a contrast to the boys pathetic argument. To make the most of the fact that Rob is wearing a wig, I shall pull Helena's hair and push her to the floor. We both push each other for a bit, until she turns around. When I say my line "Puppet?" I run at her and jump on her back. We worked a lot on this to ensure this was safe but still looked effective. We worked out how I would throw myself off of Rob without causing risk to the audience - we had to work out where I would land and make sure this is consistent - that I don't land in a different place each time, to ensure that we all know where we are when this happens and that it is a safe difference away from the audience.

After this I get up and go to attack her again, but Lysander stops me as he picks me up when I'm running toward her and spins me round and puts me back down. This emphasises how short I am as the other three lovers take the mickey out of my character for this. As Helena continues speaking, Lysander dotes on her and forgets about the raging Hermia - therefore, I run towards Helena, but Demetrius puts his hand out and stops me from attacking her. Initially we tried a lift where I ran towards her but Ollie picked me up in a fireman carry and turned me round and put me down. This lift was perfectly safe and looked good when I was up, but it looked too pre-empted as we can't get into that easily whilst ensuring it is safe. Therefore we decided that instead we would have him put out his hand, and I would run into  it so my head was on his palm - I would then swing my arms trying to get to Helena. This adds more comedy into the scene and appeals to the sense of humour of our audience, by playing on the fact that I'm so much shorter than Demetrius and Lysander.

Afterwards both boys hold me back so I can't get to Rob. We developed this hold more so that they were almost lifting me off the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment