Wednesday 18 January 2017

Musical Theatre (37) - Costumes & Lighting

In today's lesson, we all got into costume to ensure we were happy with what we were wearing and to get used to them. Everyone's costumes looked really good - however, Owen didn't have a wig today, but he shall wear it on our final rehearsals on Friday to ensure he is comfortable with it and to get used to it. I was originally wearing my heels (so I am not too short to dance with Cameron, and so I am closer to Alice's height), black trousers, white shirt, long coat and a tie [as shown in the photos]. However, my costume has now changed:
  • Due to staples in the stage block I sit on during "Life Support" until "Will I?", I now have a hole in my trousers, so have had to get rid of them. Unfortunately this was the only pair of trousers I own. Therefore, I shall now be wearing black leggings instead - although this wasn't what I had originally planned, I am really happy with this as they are more comfortable to move about it, they don't fall down and still look smart. 
  • I have now scrapped the tie as when it moves (due to "Tango: Maureen" mainly) it looks ridiculous and scruffy (as my shirt doesn't button to the top). Although I had planned to wear a tie, I prefer my costume without it as it guarantees that it can't move and then look scruffy, and the neck line of my shirt makes me look smart and a lot older. 
  • Due to the fact that I can't tuck my shirt in (as I am wearing leggings not trousers now), I shall be wearing a thick black belt to bring the shirt in - this will prevent it from looking too floaty. It will also hopefully make me look more sophisticated and smart as the belt will add shape, rather than just wearing a shirt with leggings. This works well for me, as the shirt kept coming un-tucked whilst I was dancing, so having it out but with a belt will prevent this but still make me look smart. 
Also in this lesson, we ran through a lot of Act One to set the lighting cues. Some numbers we had to keep going through to ensure that Mr McKay had got all the lighting cues he desired. A lot of us learned how to do the lighting and designed it, but Mr McKay actually set the lighting list up for us - as we were all needed on stage to see where the stage needed to be lit. Some numbers we have a lot of lighting cues for (these numbers we had to run a few times, thus we didn't finish the whole run through), whereas others we don't have that many cues for - some even have the same lighting throughout. We didn't manage to get through all of the lighting cues, so those who had frees after this lesson continued to help Mr McKay with the lighting cues we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment