Tuesday 19 April 2016

ContemporaryTheatre (2) (Script work)

In this lesson we split into pairs and small groups to work with some random scenes from different plays. The purpose of this was to get out of the devising mindset and get used to working with scripts again.

Charlie and I went together and had a scene from the play "This Property is Condemned". This story was an adapted version from the 1946 play by Tennessee Williams. Our scene took place in the fictional Mississippi town of Dodson. Charlie played the role of a 15 year old boy called Tom, whilst I was a 13 year old girl called Willie, who was playing on the railroad tracks.

When we first got our scripts, we sat down and read through it together. We then attempted adding in accents. Charlie's accent had to be similar to that of Forrest Gump, whilst mine had to be almost Texan. I struggle with accents but decided to not give up and that I wold carry on with it as it was a good opportunity to try and improve myself. After our read through, we began staging our scene. We mimed the props that were in this scene, and I mimed walking along the railroad tracks, but we used a couple of chairs to act as bench to make our piece look more interesting (and to allow us to incorporate levels). The feedback we got from our scene was that our accents were good, we used a good amount of movement (movement where appropriate but the section of no movement worked well) and that our character interaction was strong. However, I feel like I needed to make my voice slightly higher to make my character sound younger.