Monday 25 April 2016

Commedia dell'arte (19)

Hair: Side parting with some of side plaited, with the plait leading into a slick high bun
I decided to have my hair up to show that my character is well-kept, organised and cares about their appearance. I plaited half of the front section of my hair to one side; the reason for this was to show that my character is complicated but also to show the split personality (to your face Brighella seems helpful but behind your back Brighella is always plotting something - my character is very cunning).

Costume: Shiny shoes, black trousers, white shirt, black waistcoat and apron.
I wore smart shiny shoes to show my character dresses smartly for the occasion, as I like to make a good impression (to then be able to manipulate people and get away with things without people suspecting me). I wore black trousers to blend in to the background and look smart whilst doing so. The white shirt was to also make me look smart, but it was long sleeved to suggest that I am more respected and higher up on the social hierarchy ladder. The waistcoat was to show that I am sophisticated, but also to suggest that my character is hiding behind a costume and is in fact not at all trustworthy and shouldn't be respected. The apron I wore was to keep myself clean and tidy, as Brighella would not leave a mark and would travel unnoticed.