Thursday 2 March 2017

Directing (11) - Scenes 5, 6, 7 and 8

Scene 5:   Hotel room. Venice. 1973. Summer. Emma & Robert.
  • We did the majority of this scene last lesson, but we finished it today. The first bit that Lewis directed us on today was the following section: "can you remember?" "No." "You can't?" "No." "How odd." Lewis wants Ollie and I to do this section really quickly, to portray Robert as almost interrogating her. This makes Emma feel more uncomfortable and thus prompts her to own up about the affair. 
  • We all agreed that we want Robert to be quite eerily calm throughout this, but there are a few moments where we see him struggle - the mention of the flat, that it was five years and the realisation the Ned might not have been his son. If Robert shouted at all during this scene the audience would probably dislike him further. The audience do feel sorry for Emma in this scene, due to the awkward situation and the intimidating Robert, but we want them to then question themselves on their feelings towards the characters, as they remind themselves that Emma has in fact cheated on her husband for five years. 
  • Lewis also directed me to have more movement in the scene - we agreed that Robert shouldn't move for the majority of this scene, as he is being quite controlled (though he does move for the bits that hurt / surprise him - the three sections mentioned earlier), but I move near and at the end of the scene. Throughout the scene I have been sitting on the bed, with my knees gradually getting closer to me as I get tenser, but by the time I tell him how long the affair has been going on for, my back is to Robert as I am sitting on the edge of the bed. At the end of the scene when Robert says "are you looking forward to our trip to Torcello?" Lewis directed me to stand up and walk to the side as I am overcome with emotion that I can't sit down for any longer.
Scene 6:   Flat. 1973. Summer. Emma & Jerry.
  • Discussed set. Agreed that for the flat there shall be a table and two chairs stage left, a sofa slightly off-centre, and a table stage right. 
  • Lewis and I had done this scene before, but Ollie re-directed the part where I say "do you think we'll ever got to Venice together? No. Probably. Not." As I am about to put the table cloth on, Lewis takes the dirty glasses off the table and into the kitchen. It is here that I ask my question, but I don't realise he has gone because my back is to the kitchen door - when I get no response I realise that he has gone and answer it myself before his return.
Scene 7:   Restaurant. 1973. Summer. Robert, Jerry & Waiter.
  • We have done this scene a lot so there was no real direction needed for this lesson, as we had covered all the main points before - such as the intention with the lines.
Scene 8:   Flat. 1971. Summer. Jerry & Emma.
  • We didn't complete this scene today as we were focusing on the beginning, and making that seem natural. Ollie has directed Lewis to enter with a briefcase and newspaper, saying "hullo" as he throws his newspaper on the sofa and puts his bag down.

No comments:

Post a Comment