Wednesday 1 March 2017

Directing (10) - Scenes 3, 4 and 5

Scene Three:   Flat. 1975. Winter. Emma & Jerry. End of their affair.
  • Ollie wants the audience to feel sympathy for Jerry, so Lewis was directed to say his "in the summer, wasn't it?" more innocently, and if he is worried that I will snap back at him (which I do).
  • Following the idea above, Ollie directed Lewis to go to put his hand on my shoulder on the line "I know it seems-" as if he is trying to calm me down and be caring, but I lean away from him when I cut him off and put him in his place. The tension is then clearly visible. 
  • On my long line beginning "you see, in the past...", I was directed to turn to face Lewis and take his hand whilst speaking to him. This shows a change in my character's feelings to take the audience on more of a journey, and to present that she doesn't really know what she wants - she is perhaps reluctant to end the affair.
  • "It was never intended to be the same kind of home. Was it?" - I had previously said this line in a bit of a bitter way, as if I was going to say that it was a flat "for fucking". However, Ollie re-directed me to say it as if this was the first I knew of him not wanting it to have been a sort of home - I therefore said this line quite upset, which worked well for my line that then followed. However on my second sentence, I altered my tone to show that I am thinking and 'realised' what his intention for the flat was.
Scene Four:   E & R's house. 1974. Autumn. All three. Tense scene in living room.
  • We had done this scene quite a few times together so we all knew the intentions and objectives for each character, however, we changed the staging slightly. Instead of me being forced to sit next to Robert on the sofa, I now perch on the arm of the sofa furthest away from him. This shows how uncomfortable Emma is in this scenario, but is also symbolic of her danger.
  • We discussed how horrible Robert is to Emma in this scene, especially after their conversation in the next scene - where he says to Emma "you should have lunch with us one day and chat about it," whilst in this scene, he says hoe "you don't actually want a woman within a mile of the place, any of the places really".
Scene Five:   Hotel room. Venice. 1973. Summer. Emma & Robert. Affair discovered by Robert.
  • We added a little bit more movement into this scene. This is the same as the last scene, in the fact that we have both done this scene before and are aware of our intentions, objectives and subtext, but we could add more movement in. Lewis directed Ollie to get up at one point and read over my shoulder, as this instantly makes people feel uncomfortable. 
  • We didn't finish this scene today, but shall continue with it next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment