Monday 27 March 2017

Directing (13) - All scenes

Scene One:   This scene went smoothly. We got our movement how we had been directed correct - although it is minimal, it is still essential. Ollie directed us to have minimal movement during this scene, to enable our audience to focus on the naturalistic dialogue - a style that we're maintaining throughout our entire play. Ollie directed me to have a slightly longer pause before my line "Sam must be... tall", and to take my time before saying "tall". This is to show that I feel awkward that he has reminded me on how to keep things civil, and also that I can't remember how old he would be. The other part we changed was how I said "Wessex Grove" as this is important, as it is the first mention of the flat, but the audience don't know about it at the moment.

Scene Two:   The boys have done this scene a lot and they remembered all of my directions really well. I gave a bit more direction on Lewis' emotional journey in this scene so we get the climactic moment at the right time. This needs to be just prior to Ollie's line "Oh, don't get upset. There's no point".

Scene Three:   Lewis and I didn't need any additional directing with this scene today as we have worked a lot on it previously.

Scene Four:   I think this scene went really well today. We all got the movement and our intentions right. However, we worked a lot on eye contact today. We have worked it so Robert is looking a lot at Emma throughout this scene to make her more uncomfortable, and Emma doesn't really know where to look. However, I have found moments when I look directly at Robert in the eye as this doesn't happen often for her. There are only a few scenes which Emma and Robert are in together - this scene, the next scene and the last scene. In the holiday scene, Emma doesn't really make much eye contact with Robert at all, and barely any in the last scene too because she feels really awkward, and can't bring herself to look at him. However, in this scene, she finds a few moments where she is brave enough to challenge his looks, but by the end of this scene, this courage is gone. She holds his stare at the end of this scene but then gets emotional. This may make the audience question whether Robert hits Emma or not - although as a cast we have decided he doesn't, but we are happy for our audience to question this.

Scene Five:   This is another scene which we have done quite a few times and don't really need that much directing on.

Scene Six:   We changed our movement for this scene a little bit. We start hugging centre stage, then sit at the table, but move to the sofa when Lewis says that he spoke to Robert that morning. Lewis moves first, but I follow as I am anxious to find out more information. I remain standing long after he has sat down, until the line "you've misunderstood me". Although still anxious, I sit down at this point as I am too worried to stand but also to show that I don't want him to think that something has happened.

Scene Seven:   The boys have done this scene several times before. We worked more vocally on this scene as the movement is all fiarly simple. I wanted to make sure that the awkwardness was clear - when Jerry asks about Torcello and says "I thought..." and then realises what he had said.

Scene Eight:   This was another scene we had done a lot but we worked specially on the vocals for this lesson. Ollie directed me so that I wasn't too happy at the beginning as Emma is worried the whole scene about having to tell Jerry that she is pregnant.

Scene Nine:   We are really comfortable vocally with this scene now. We just need to work a little bit more on the physicality as we have changed it around so often.

With our version of "Betrayal" we have pretty much finished directing each other and all of the scenes, so it is now just a case of learning all of our lines, so we are ready to perform. We are aiming to perform our piece on May 3rd. We have given ourselves a little while as we all have a lot of lines to learn, we need to practice in the space (as we have decided to perform in the hall due to more space for audience, more space in general and good lighting opportunities), and because we may have a bit more directing to do in terms of hand gestures once we no longer need our scripts. We are also currently debating what we should wear for this performance. In terms of colours, we are thinking that Jerry should wear white, Robert black and Emma a colour in between - this would symbolise how Emma is stuck in the middle but is drawn more towards the light Jerry and doomed with Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment