Monday 5 December 2016

Auditions (27) - "Goodbye Charles" monologue

For the first half of this lesson we split into a pair and a three and were told to give each other help on our monologues. Ollie, James and I split the time we had up into three and allowed each person to perform their monologue twice with feedback in between. Once we had all helped each other, we had to perform our monologue to the class.
  • First attempt to group:   I was told that my use of volume was good as I varied it throughout. However, I could have done more with my pace and pauses. I was told that I could take more time on my laugh before the line "I'm not crying". James then said that it was too naturalistic - although it was believable he said that I could be more hysterical. I should go on more of an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Second attempt to group:   The boys told me that this was a lot better than my first attempt, but I could still afford to be more of a mess. On my first attempt, I had forgotten the whole tipsy idea. We discussed me having a glass of wine and being a little bit tipsy to make me more over-the-top on the sarcastic parts and just more vulnerable in general.
  • Performance to class:   My feedback from the class was that it was believable and very promising. My group said that it was a lot better than I had rehearsed it, but they still think that I could contrast the emotions more, I was also told that I need to start working with the props to make it become more natural. What I need to do now, if I decide to do this monologue, is to work with props and to do so character development work (such as writing in role) to get into the mind-set of the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment