Thursday 8 December 2016

Auditions (28) - "Spacewang" monologue by Tom Wells

Last night, a teacher from my theatre school emailed me a few monologues for audition practice. One of the three monologues was a comedy one starting with the line "shoplifting is a piece of piss". I decided that I wanted to try this one as I didn't think that the "divorce papers" one suited me. As I received it last night I hadn't done any research on it at all so was reading it cold.

Therefore before performing it in class today I was told that I wasn't get any feedback for the first attempt as I needed to do research into my character and the actual play itself. Also before performing, I had to cut down my monologue to an appropriate length as it was over a page and a half long.

Although this was just a cold read, the reactions from those watching were very positive. However, I need to make my voice sound more common. I also need to do more with my hands - I was speaking with my hand out but my palm was facing up; this works for a lot of it, but it would be more engaging to have my palm facing downwards.

We then split into pairs and helped each other with our monologues. Rob said that this attempt was a big improvement. I took the note about my hands and tried to work with them, however, I still feel like I need to add more movement in to the piece. I also changed the way I said the line "I DON'T WANT TO SHOW YOU MY FANNY AGAIN". In this attempt, I really exaggerated it and went over the top with it - making it as melodramatic as I could. I also imitated the security guard, Carl, to show a contrast in my voice (in terms of pitch and tone).

My next step will be to do research on my character and the play itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment