Monday 20 February 2017

Directing (8) - Emma and Jerry

As Ollie wasn't in, Lewis and I ran the all of the scenes that are just between Emma and Jerry.
  • Scene One   -   1977   -   Pub   -   We worked on portraying our intentions by using our tone of voice specifically. We also worked on our pauses and why the meaning of certain lines (e.g. what they mean by "do you remember, I mean, you do remember?" "I remember" - their flat).
  • Scene Three   -   1975   -   Flat   -   We imagined what the conversation would have been before the start of this scene to get us in to the right frame of mind. We wanted it to be really awkward and tense between us, as this is the end of their affair. Our main focuses with this scene were our intentions and body language. We directed each other for this scene. My directions to Lewis were mainly to do with proxemics - how far away from me he should be at different points - depending on what was just said.
  • Scene Six   -   1973   -   Flat   -   We hadn't done a lot of work on this scene. We worked on the opening and how we would do it. Lewis and I start hugging and he kisses me on the cheek. I then break away from him and put the basket down. We practiced using my bag as a basket to work out how we would move around each other with it. We also worked a lot on our spacing and physical interaction with each other in this scene. On my lines "Do you think we'll ever go to Venice together? No. Probably not" I put the table cloth on the table. The pause after this is used for me to walk over to the chair and sit down again, and used by Lewis as if he wants to ask a question but doesn't know how. The ending is sweet, as I sit up against him I lay my head on his shoulder. This is supposed to be sweet to make the audience want them to stay together.
  • Scene Eight   -   1971   -   Flat   -   We had done this scene a few times before so working more on the intentions of these lines, as we had already pretty much staged it. We need the scene to be quite awkward from my perspective as I want to tell Jerry about my pregnancy but don't know how to tell him and scared how he will take it.
  • Scene Nine   -   1968   -   Robert and Emma's House   -   We had worked on this scene a lot previously so we just ran it today to cement it in our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment