Saturday 4 February 2017

Workshop (13) - Pg 28 // Pg 70 to 77 // Pg 124 to 130

Page 28:   We were intending on running the whole of what we did last lesson, but we were unable to as Dan wasn't in. However, we did do James' song and did the short section of dialogue on the page before. The dialogue is between Todd and Lovett, as they walk in to the marketplace to find Pirelli. Lovett spots Beadle and panics, but Todd reassures her (very definitely) that it'll be fine. We decided that we would enter from the hall door (stage right) and walk to the centre. Beadle would be positioned on the floor by front row of the audience (stage left) and I would spot him as we get to the centre. At this moment, I would then walk Sweeney up the aisle slightly, so he couldn't be seen by Beadle. As the music starts to the song, we walk up the isle so we are out of the way. However, as the song progresses, we walk down the aisle to investigate the elixir.

Pages 70 - 77:   This section involves Lovett finding out Todd has killed Pirelli, her looking after Tobias, and Turpin going to Todd for a shave. Initially, I said my first couple of lines to James in a way that the audience knew that I was anxious of the noises upstairs, but Toby wasn't aware of what was happening, and was quite satisfied sitting there waiting for Pirelli to return. However, I don't think it should be performed like this as my next couple of lines to Todd are completely calm and innocent (talking about my knees and asking when Pirelli will be back). Therefore, I think I should perform my dialogue with James as if I had spent a long time with him in the room, waiting for Todd to come down with Pirelli, so wondering what they are doing. This then also works with my dialogue with Todd. The first way we tried Rob's line of "he won't be back" was by him turning slowly to me (as I'm sitting down) and saying it in a low tone. This worked well as it was quite sinister. However, we tried it again, but this time with him not turning at all, and instead saying his line whilst cleaning his razor whilst looking out to the front. The fact that Rob didn't move at all during this line made it more sinister, and scene tenser. The next lines we workshopped a bit were my lines "Oh well, that's a different matter! What a relief, dear! For a moment I thought you'd lost your marbles". Initially I said this line as if I was completely relieved in his response, and I understand his reasoning. However, Ollie thought I should try it again, but as if I didn't agree with Todd's actions but didn't want to upset him, so instead pretended that I understood his reasoning. I personally preferred my first attempt, as I believe that this wouldn't really phase Mrs Lovett, as she is the one that comes up with the idea of putting people into pies in the end. I therefore think I should perform it how I did the first time. However, on my line "Him, too! Now surely one's enough for today, dear", I spoke with concern and slight fear in my voice, as I think Toby is easy to deal with, isn't that much of a threat, is sweet and can come in useful. On my line to Toby after this scene, I performed it as being overly nice to Toby so he didn't suspect anything and because I felt bad for him, but as simultaneously anxious about what is going to happen. Lewis and Rob worked on their song "pretty women".

Paged 124 - 130:   This scene is between Lovett and Toby. This section is mainly made up of the song "nothing's gonna harm you", with the rest of the scene made up of Toby being certain that Todd is responsible for Pirelli's disappearance, Lovett persuading Toby not to say anything about this, and Lovett taking Toby down the bake house and locking him in there. We only ran through the entirety of the scene and song once on our own once, but workshopped just the beginning section of dialogue and the song with the rest of the class. The first time we ran this scene, we paid attention to the stage directions and so set it in the living room, with my knitting a muffler. Therefore, the scene was quite static. We decided that we would try the first section of the scene again and the song in a different location. We decided that it seemed random for Lovett to have been knitting, so we changed the setting to the pie shop, and Lovett would be cleaning up. We changed the dialogue that said about her knitting a muffler for Toby to her saving a pie for him. During the song as he sings to me, I would be moving about, clearing up the shop. My character doesn't really want him to be singing all of this to me as I don't want him to know about Sweeney. I think that Lovett does really care for Toby and is flattered by all Toby says. However, she knows that he knows too much and so lures him into the bake house and locks him then. She really doesn't want to do this, as she now sees him as kind of her own, but knows she must to protect Sweeney. Although we didn't manage to do the rest of our scene, we are happy with how we stages the pie shop section.

No comments:

Post a Comment