Friday 18 March 2016

Devised Unit - Chasing Pavements (21) (Track editting)

For our opening scene we were using the version of "Crazy in Love" from "50 Shades of Grey". However, we wanted to begin the piece with the original version of "Crazy in Love" to create the party atmosphere. Therefore we decided that we needed to mix the two tracks.

My first step in the editing process was to get the two songs and put them on to audacity. I then cut the original track of "Crazy in Love", and kept only the parted we needed. I then moved the "50 Shades of Grey" version to where we wanted it to come in. I decided to overlap the two tracks so the second track started where we wanted it to, but also so it gradually came in. I then faded the first track out and the second track in so the merge was smoother.

I then decided that we needed an explosive change to make the transition clear. I therefore downloaded an explosion sound effect and added it to the audacity project. I moved the effect to the desired place and then tested the track. However, the sound effect didn't sound very realistic and was a little bit too clean, as we wanted the piece to sound a bit messy to symbolise the amount of alcohol consumed. To do this, I added the "wah wah" effect to the explosion sound.

After this, I decided to alter the tempo of the first song nearing the explosion. This was because the transition between the two songs was a bit sharp still, and we wanted the tracks to blend better. Also, by altering the tempo, the vocals and the track became distorted which represents the sheer amount of alcohol they consumed.