Thursday 3 December 2015

The Flint Street Nativity - Play, by Tim Firth (14) (Script work // Evaluating progress)

01/12/15

Today we ran the  beginning of the show up until page 53 without scripts but with the majority of the songs (excluding mine and Robert's duet, and Charlie and Oliver's duet as we are getting the sheet music for these two songs). This run went better than expected. I was relieved after Rhiannon and I had finished our duet as I had to improvise a little dance as my character "la's and dances" one of the verses. However, the class found it funny and complimented me for staying in character the whole time. Although some prompting was needed at times the majority of the piece ran smoothly. What we need to work on the most is learning our songs without our scripts, get our costumes sorted and rehearse with all costumes and props.

03/11/15

We began this lesson by filling out a worksheet. My questions and answers are as follows:

Discussing one activity or exercise, explain how this has developed your own skills and understanding as an actor. One lesson we ran the whole of the children's section at double the speed we normally do. I found this useful because I had to ensure I knew all of my lines in the correct order and my cues. I also got a better understanding of my characters development throughout the show, and how the relationships between mine and other character's change. Moreover, I had to really concentrate on my blocking - I had to be certain on where I was supposed to be as everything was sped up, thus we had less time to think.

What research have you done into the play itself? I watched the film version of the play to get a better understanding of character interactions and a better understanding of the play in general. I also learned that Tim Firth wrote the play after speaking to his friends who are teachers, who told him about certain children they have taught that they remember the most. From my research I also discovered that the Flint Street Junior School is based on Stockton Heath Primary School, where Tim Firth attended and where his mother taught.

What are your recommendations for developing the production further?
-  Rehearse on the stage
-  Get sheet music for songs we are unsure on
-  Rehearse with props and costumes
-  Practise the costume change in time
-  Time the piece as a whole
-  Develop the lighting plan and finalise it
-  Advertise the show and start making and selling tickets

This worksheet was very useful as we had to reflect on what exercise we have done in the past to prepare for the play that benefitted us the most. We also had to see what we remembered from our research about the play itself. Finally, we had to state what we would do next if we were put in charge of the play at this point.

After this worksheet, we ran the children section of the second act up to page 53, as we didn't manage to get any further this lesson due to time restrictions. Unfortunately, quite a lot of prompting was needed in this rehearsal, as this section is the section we have done the least in the play. However, I think I did well with my lines today as I only needed prompting once (although I did actually know the line, I just need to have more confidence and trust in myself).

Tonight, I did more research to help me with my characterisation of Jenny Bennet. I decided to watch an episode of "Doc Martin", as his partner in the programme is a teacher at a primary school. In this episode, the school caretaker had given himself carbon monoxide poisoning so was delirious. He therefore got cleaning products and fertiliser the wrong way round, and made many of the children ill. The children threw up in this episode, which was useful for me as my character is sick during the play. Therefore I focussed on their body language and their gestures. The girl in this episode held her hair out of the way when she supposedly threw up. She also wiped her face afterwards and stared at what she had just done. I shall include these movements when I perform the "vomiting section". I also paid close attention to how the children stood when waiting: none of them stood still; they all were fidgeting in some way or another.