Monday 16 May 2016

Contemporary Theatre (14) (Audit & Cast list)

To begin this lesson we all did a skills audit on our voices. Mine was as follows:
  • BREATH CONTROL:
    • I think my breath control is quite strong because I can sustain my breath through long phrases. If I struggle to do this, then I work out when is the most appropriate time to breathe in the phrase. 
  • PROJECTION:
    • My projection is normally okay as I am used to using my diaphragm for singing. I always use my diaphragm when singing, shouting or having a raised voice.
    • I tend to forget to use my diaphragm when I am speaking.
    • I shall practice different scenarios. I shall try to use my diaphragm when I am speaking quietly. This would be useful for when I have to do projected whispers (like in "Dr Faustus" as the chorus).
  • DICTION / ARTICULATION:
    • My diction is good in terms of pronouncing "th" and "f". I pronounce my "t's" when they are in the middle of a word.
    • I often forget to pronounce my "t's" if they are at the end of a word.
    • I could do a variety of tongue twisters.
  • EFFECTIVE USE OF PACE & PAUSES:
    • I think I use pace effectively. I slow down and speed up where appropriate.
    • I think I could improve my use of pauses.
    • I could practice a variety of different monologues.
  • QUALITY OF TONE:
    • Apparently my quality of tone is quite nice. I have a soothing and friendly tone.
    • I need to vary my tone more.
    • I could pick a monologue and then rehearse the monologue with a different emotion each time.
     
 We then found out the cast list and all highlighted our scripts! The cast list is the following:
  • CHARLIE:   Charrington   /   Speakwrite
  • HOPE:   Mrs Parsons   /   Waitress
  • JAMES:   Parsons   /   Father
  • KATYA:   Host   /   Martin   /   Thoughtcriminal
  • LEWIS:   Syme   /   Man
  • LORNA:   Voice   /   Mother   /   Woman
  • OLIVER K:   O'Brien
  • OLLIE M:   Child   /   Goldstein   /   Woman's voice
  • RHIANNON:   Julia
  • ROBERT:   Winston