Sunday 8 May 2016

"Dr Faustus" - Marlowe (7) (Voice)

As we all read a section of all the sins, we will have to alter our voices to show the difference between all of them.
  • Sloth: "Faustus see how it feels to be so idle, I have not used my talents given by God but what of that? I feel no stress" - Lazy to suit the sin. Fairly quiet and low as if I have just woken up. I will elongate the word "so" to emphasise the laziness.
  • Gluttony: "guzzling more and more and this feeds the sin of gluttony the pleasure of excess" - Urgent to show desperation for more. Not slow as this wouldn't show desperation but not too fast as to show that my character is getting full but continues eating nonetheless. 
  • Pride: "Pride and self image is power in the 21st century, we dictate the image of those around us, each glossy magazine, each flickering screen, depicts the images of pride" - Confident to show vanity. Loud as my character loves their voice. Fairly fast to show that my character has so much to say.
  • Wrath: "tear and break, the power of the kill, as wrath rains down vengeance on all those that would stand against it" - Powerful to emphasise strength and ability. Loud to show everyone should feel threatened. Fairly fast to show that they mean business and have a lot to say. I will articulate well and emphasise the plosive syllables ("break") to sound more threatening.
  • Lust: "the sin of the body? The joys of touch, touch us Faustus feel the pleasure of the flesh. We want you Faustus, now, right now Faustus. Take us, feel the softness of the skin, the smell of energy, the excitement, the desire, ohhh Faustus to experience all we have to offer. Sex is everywhere manipulated to create great wealth and great power with eroticism the modern world expands and grows, fornication a commodity that all crave to have, come Faustus give in to the desires of the flesh" - Seductive to persuade Faustus. Medium volume but more quiet as to lure him closer. Low pitch to sound more husky and seductive. Fairly slow to show enjoyment. I will stress the words "touch", "feel", "excitement", "sex" and "crave" as I think these are very significant and are the key words in this mini monologue.
  • Envy: "we envy those that have and think of ways we can gain" - Spiteful to show jealousy. Fairly quiet to show bitterness. Fairly low to show scorn. Steady pace to portray my character is cunning and manipulative - jealousy has driven them mad.

Although our physicality and style are quite abstract in this section, our voices are going to be quite naturalistic. Therefore, I am applying Stanislavski's technique of emotional memory when performing each of these different roles. (http://lornaclarkra.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/stanislavski.html). For example, when I perform gluttony, I think of my favourite meal I have ever eaten and then imagine eating that meal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment