Monday 4 July 2016

Contemporary Theatre (30) (Page 51 - 70)

In this lesson we ran from page 51 to page 70. We blocked scenes we hadn't done as we went along.

Page 51: I enter from SR and stand behind Winston's chair. This is to show that the mother has entered Winston's thoughts. As I enter, Ollie enters SL and sits on the floor. From the audience's point of view, it looks like I am looking at Rob, but instead I am looking at Ollie. This happens throughout the scene - we change positions, where Rob sits next to Ollie on the floor and I move closer to them both. Rob and Ollie sit in the same position to show that they are the same person. The fact that Rob is acting in this section presents that Winston is reliving this memory. Moreover, the fact that I do not look at him shows that he can't relive the past regardless of how much he wants to. When I mime taking out the chocolate, I pass it past Rob and give it to Ollie, almost as if Rob was a ghost. Meanwhile, Rob returns to his chair to continue telling the story to Julia. We decided this would be the appropriate place to do this as Rob is now saying reporting clauses ("Mother was calling out to me". On my last line, I back out SL as if I am fading away - this represents not just the memory fading but his Mother's existence.

Page 54: On this page we have a transition to get to O'Brien's flat. To do this everyone moves a chair (to end with a semi-circle of chairs, with four chairs in the middle in the canteen positions). Charlie and I move our chairs and then we move the coffee table to the centre, then part, then leave. Originally, when Julia and Winston entered we were going to have them sit down pretty early on, but we decided to keep them standing instead as it makes the situation seem more awkward. When Winston says "Is it-?" and O'Brien replies with "switched off", this is a repeat of the phone situation in Book Club.

Page 67: We then skipped the next section as it only involved Rob, Rhiannon and I, so we jumped to this section as it involves everyone. I originally stood DR, but now I stand on a chair in the centre. I will be using a megaphone for my lines here. I am a little bit worried about this as I am very loud when I shout anyway, so with a megaphone, I will be incredibly loud! However, the aim here is to completely overwhelm the audience. On Page 68, Charlie enters in his hunched over stance, with a walking stick, as Charrington (to make himself look older). However, as he walks slowly towards Rob, he drops his walking stick and stands up straighter. The purpose of this is to reveal the fact that Charrington was in disguise the whole time and was in fact a "bad guy". This should completely confuse the audience and shock them. On Page 69, every marches on to form a semi-circle around the outside of the room.