Tuesday 20 October 2015

Theatre for Children (5) (Scene plan // Movement)

We have now devised a scene plan for our version of Fantastic Mr Fox. We decided to keep our scene plan the same as the books, but we have condensed it, amalgamating some scenes into one. Our scene list is as follows:
  1. The three farmers
  2. Mr Fox    
  3. The shooting (and plan)
  4. The terrible shovels / The terrible tractors / The race
  5. "We'll never let him go" - plan to kill (again)
  6. The foxes begin to starve / Mr Fox has a plan
  7. Boggis's Chicken House Number One
  8. A Surprise for Mrs Fox / Badger
  9. Bunce's Giant Storehouse / Badger has doubts
  10. Bean's secret cider cellar / The Woman
  11. The Great Feast
  12. Still Waiting
Today we had a characterisation workshop using Rudolf Laban's movement techniques. To form a character, in terms of body language and movement, three scales show be considered: a) light to heavy; b) direct to indirect; and c) sudden to sustained. The light to heavy scale determines the weight of the actors movements, the direct to indirect scale determines the character's authority, and the sudden to sustained scale determines a character's confidence.

As I am multi-rolling as three different characters, I really have to vary my positioning on these scales so the audience can tell a clear difference between my characters. Below I have stated what decisions I have made with each of my characters and I have explained why:
  • FOX CUB:
    • A) Very light: As my character is very young here my movements will be light to show agility and childlike energy.
    • B) Sometimes direct: When my character is not with her father, I think she would be very indirect as she is not worldly-wise. However, when she is with her father, she is inspired by him and copies him.
    • C) Both sustained and sudden: When playing or hearing a noise my movements would be sudden and cautious. However, when with her father, my character would feel more relaxed and would nestle in to him more for comfort.
  • BUNCE:
    • A) Very heavy: Bunce is a pot-bellied dwarf. He has very short legs so would do a kind of waddle as opposed to a walk. 
    • B) Mainly direct: He very much follows Bean but still knows where he is going and goes with a purpose. 
    • C) Quite sudden: This will be to show my character's short and beastly temper.
  • RAT:
    • A) Very light: To show her size and sly nature.
    • B) Very direct: To show her authority and importance,
    • C) Mostly sustained: To show cunning and sly nature, but sudden when noises are heard.