Tuesday 9 February 2016

Devised Unit - Chasing Pavements (13) (Character Profile)

Katya wasn't in this lesson, so we decided to have a lesson of comparing notes we have made so far to ensure we all had everything we needed (for example, the list of scenes we have / are wishing to include so far and what type of scene they are). Once we established we all had everything we needed, I decided that I would make a character profile for when I am the presenter of the game show "Keep or No Keep". I thought this would be very useful for me as my character is quite complicated anyway. Although Katya and I are playing the same character throughout our piece, this character is very different and shows a different side of the pregnant girl. This character shows her hostility towards everyone (as she gets frustrated at those who try to get involved) and shows her tendency to have mood swings (one moment caring only for her appearance on camera, and the next admitting she wishes to have a family).


Having done my character profile, Ollie and I discussed our game show scene. We spoke about our characters and how we are going to portray them. I decided that I wanted my character to be more patronising as to make the audience feel even more uncomfortable and possibly frustrated at how the contestants are being treated. I therefore decided to change the way I said my line about having "a family as well" and being "able to make them memories". Originally I said these lines as if my character did actually want a family; however, now I am saying this line as if to mock Rob's character - my character is perhaps laughing at him. Ollie and I also spoke about our inspiration for this scene (the "Ten Tiny Fingers" script) and thought of having an offstage moment either before or after this scene to show contrast and to make the audience feel more sympathy for the contestants. We then spoke to Robert about this idea later on and he liked the sound of it. Next lesson we shall ask Katya what she thinks on the idea and whether she would like to include it as well.