Wednesday 7 September 2016

Auditions (1) - Assignment & chosing a monologue

In today's lesson we began our new unit, "Auditions for Actors". Due to this lesson being shortened today, we only had time to discuss the assignment task and criteria, and the dates for our performances. I am looking forward to doing this unit, as it gives me the opportunity to improve my personal skills as an actress and get to have a similar style audition to what I'd get when auditioning for universities/colleges. Although I am looking forward to challenging myself, I am a little bit anxious as I have trouble with my nerves when auditioning - therefore, I am looking forward to pushing myself and learning to cope with my nerves a bit better.

Ready for next lesson, we have had to find a monologue that we find interesting. My first step to finding a suitable monologue was to think about my playing age. I think I can get away with being between 15 and 23, but it would also be sensible to find a monologue that I can connect to - i.e. have experienced a similar situation (so having a monologue about retiring from a job might not be appropriate). Our only rule was that our monologue has to be from a published play.

Below are the three monologues I was considering:
  • http://www.monologuearchive.com/w/wilde_007.html     
    • (The Importance of being Earnest) (Oscar Wilde) (Lady Bracknell)
  • http://www.backstage.com/monologues/henrik-ibsen/a-dolls-house/1030/
    • (A Doll's House) (Henrik Ibsen) (Nora)
  • http://www.thesca.co.uk/pdf/girls1416.pdf
    • (The Power of the Dog) (Ellen Dryden) (Lisa)
I decided against my first option as I have done this monologue before, and also played the role of Lady Bracknell in a duologue as well, so thought I should try something new instead. I have seen the second monologue performed before as part of a duologue, when my friend did this scene for her GCSE. I liked this monologue as the character, Nora, finally stands up for herself and confronts her husband about how he treats her. It is a serious piece with themes of loss, reality and life changes. The character is in her 30s and married, but I still feel that I can connect with her as I know what it is like to finally get the courage to stand up to someone you have been close to. I also like the last monologue as the character is around my age and the piece is a little bit more comical. I personally feel that the second monologue will give me more opportunities to explore a few different emotions, whilst the final monologue is a little bit repetitive in terms of emotions - there are no high point and opportunities for deviation.

No comments:

Post a Comment