Tuesday 13 September 2016

Auditions (3) - Choosing two monologues

For our lesson on Wednesday, we have to choose two monologues, one classic and one contemporary.

Classic Monologues:
  • ((Othello -- William Shakespeare -- Desdemona))
    • http://www.inexplicabledumbshow.com/shakespeare-monologues/female/o-4-2-148-desdemona.pdf
    • Themes of confusion, love, devotion, pain and loyalty.
    • Approximate age, 18. Young, innocent wife of Othello. Beautiful and a victim.
    • Like the monologue as her loyalty is admirable and she is a sweet character.
    • Haven't picked this as my classic monologue as I don't feel connected to the character in any way.
  • ((Othello -- William Shakespeare -- Emilia))
    • http://www.inexplicabledumbshow.com/shakespeare-monologues/female/o-4-3-85-emilia.pdf
    • Themes of feminism, confusion, desires and relationships.
    • Approximate age, 20-30. Wife of Iago. Wise and bold.
    • Can connect with her as I share similar views. 
    • I have chosen this monologue as my classic monologue
  • (( As You Like It -- William Shakespeare -- Phebe))
    • http://www.monologuearchive.com/s/shakespeare_032.html
    • Themes of confusion and love.
    • Quite sarcastic. Loved by Silvius. Loves Ganymede but he insults her. 
    • Like the monologue as I feel I can connect with her constant questioning of herself.
    • Haven't picked this as my classic monologue as I find it is a bit too repetitive. 
Contemporary Monologues:
  • ((Assassins -- John Weidman -- Fromme))
    • https://alwaysworkingartists.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/assassins-fromme.pdf
    • Themes of love, family and addiction.
    • This monologue will be challenging for me as I can't connect with the character that well as I have never been kicked out by my parents, never got high on marijuana or murdered someone! Also, I found it quite interesting as it ends with her saying that she held Charlie's hand until he was arrested for murder, making the audience confused and wondering if she actually held his hand whilst he murdered someone.
    • This is the monologue I chose as I found it interesting and it contrasted to my classical monologue.
  • ((Why is John Lennon Wearing a Skirt? -- Claire Dowie -- A woman ))
    • https://alwaysworkingartists.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/why-is-john-lennon-wearing-a-skirt.pdfh
    • Themes of anger, confusion and oppression.
    • The character refuses to live up to the stereotypes of women and is angered by the fact that men are treated differently to women.
    • I decided against this monologue as it is so similar to my classic monologue, as they are both about feminism. As I wanted a bit of a contrast between between my monologues, I thought I should go for sosmething with different themes.
  • ((The Power of the Dog -- Ellen Dryden -- Lisa))
    • http://www.thesca.co.uk/pdf/girls1416.pdf
    • Themes of honesty, dissapointment and opinions.
    • Lisa is about my age and is also an English student. She says what she thinks and is completely honest. I could connect with this character quite well as she is not afraid to have different opinions to other people.
    • This piece is a comedy and so contrasts with my classic monologue. However, they both share the same theme of opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment