Monday 26 September 2016

Auditions (8) - Two monologues

For Wednesday's lesson we have to choose two monologues: one that we have learned off by heart and one that we are kind of familiar with. I have chosen to learn my Othello one off by heart, as I still haven't had the chance to perform this one yet, and I decided that I would find a completely new one to familiarise myself with. I really like my monologue from Othello (spoken by the character Emilia) as it is basically stating that men and women are equal and should be allowed to do the same things.

I found three monologues so I could look at them all before choosing my favourite one to perform on Wednesday. I considered each monologue individually - what I liked about them and what I disliked. The three monologues that I found, and my thoughts on each, are as follows:
  • ((My William Shatner Man Crush -- D. M. Larson -- Jenny))
    • http://freedrama.net/thingnerd.html
    • Themes of monologue: love, relationships, nerds
    • Approximate age: 17 - 18
    • It is comical, and I like how there are quotes from stereotypically "nerdy" things integrated in to the monologue. I can connect with the character as she is about my age and also because I used to be known as a nerd throughout junior school and the beginning of secondary school.
    • I am not choosing this monologue, however, as I can't find any information on the play itself, and therefore I don't know what happens before and after this. I don't know who she is talking to and anything else about her (apart from what I can work out from the monologue itself)
  • ((Guys & Dolls -- Jo Swerling Abe Burrows -- Sarah Brown))
    • http://stageagent.com/monologues/629/guys-and-dolls/sarah-brown
    • Themes of monologue: Preaching, determination, leadership, religion 
    • Approximate age: 25 - 35
    • "Sarah is standing on a street corner hopelessly preaching to the sinful gamblers walking by."
    • I like the character's determination. Although people are ignoring her, she continues to speak her beliefs and tries to warn people not to gamble. Although I am not religious, I like how she refers to everyone as "brothers and sisters" as it suggests that we should be living in harmony and should be as one.  
  • ((One Man, Two Guvnors -- Richard Bean -- Dolly))
    • http://stageagent.com/monologues/2211/one-man-two-guvnors/dolly
    • Themes of monologue: Advice, relationships, men
    • Approximate age: Early 20s
    • I can connect with the character as I am also the one who ends up giving advice to people
    • I like how honest and open the character is.
    • This piece is quite a contrast to the pieces I have done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment