Thursday 16 June 2016

Contemporary Theatre (24) (Character profile // Writing in role)

MOTHER - Character Profile

Name: Debbie Smith
Age: 32
Children: 1 son, 1 daughter
Relationship: Married

Personality: I believe that mother is very vulnerable as she is pressured by her son, as he constantly asks questions and doesn't stop answering back ("I WANT IT - I NEED IT"). I personally feel quite sorry for this character as she is constantly pushed by her son to the extent where she actually has to leave her son and her home because she cannot take it anymore. She tried her best to keep her calm and to be fair (as she stands up for her daughter and tells Winston off when he does wrong), but she "can't bear [it]" by the end. I also believe that she suffers with anxiety and is a very nervous person as she stutters a lot on page 15 of the script ("It's all very... just... we're inside his head. You know?"). Moreover, I think that mother is very caring and has a strong maternal instinct, because when Winston passes out (on page 24) she automatically calms others down and tells them what to do, and then comforts Winston.


MOTHER - Writing in Role

I don't know what to do anymore! I can't bear it and I don't know how much longer I can cope with it. Ha! I say that... like I'm coping with it at the moment anyway! This constant questioning, interrogating even. The constant demanding and pressure he puts on me - what have I done to deserve this?! Chocolate. Constantly chocolate! Can I have some chocolate? My stomach is clawing me! I WANT IT - I NEED IT! Why? Why has he turned out like this? I didn't bring him up like this?! His poor sister - I gave him my chocolate and then he snatched his sister's out of her hand! Her sweet little hands! I shouted at him. I kept calling his name but he kept running. My little girl was crying and I couldn't do anything. I felt helpless. This happens daily and I don't know what I can do! Me missing out is one thing, but stealing from his sister is not on!