Thursday 23 June 2016

F(l)ight - (6) (Chair duets // Ending)

Our group counselling scene:
  • Bring chairs on and sit down. All repeat one movement that shows our character (the victims did a movement that showed they were vulnerable, e.g. cowering / the abusers did a sharp sudden movement) - I did a sudden kick before I crossed my legs, to show my character's unpredictable nature and violent tendencies.
  • We all perform a movement towards the person on our left, in cannon. When the circle is complete, we go back the other way reacting to the movement that happened to us on the other way round - James is on my left and goes to hug me, but stops before he touches me. I turn and spit at Rhiannon. The reason I spat was to show continuity as I spat at Lewis during our duet section. Rhiannon's reaction to me is to wipe her face and then turn me to face James. My reaction to James is to put my hands up in a cross and then throw them down. This also shows continuity as I do this in my duet as well.
  • To allow Rob to have some movement, we thought that he could be the leader of the counselling session. Rob does a little duet section with the three victims where he uses a puppetry technique to get them to stand up tall (to represent them becoming more confident) and he turns them away and makes them stand to the sides.
  • Rob then stands in the middle of the circle and uses puppetry again to make us stand and then move over one place to then sit down in the seat that was on our right - when the abusers sit in the victims chair, we are representing the abusers seeing things from the victims point of view.
  • We then repeat the movements that the person who was sitting in the chair before did at the beginning - this is symbolic of the abusers being in the victims shoes.
  • Whilst the abusers are performing the victims movements, the victims pick up the other chairs and place them behind the abusers so they are back to back. 
  • Rob does a duet with each of the three abusers. The duet consists of him trying to touch us on the shoulder and then give us a hug but we reject both. We then takes our arm, lowers us back to our chair and then pulls us back up again. We then turn round and sit facing the victims backs - Rob lowering us on to the chairs represents him lowering our egos and reducing our anger. The fact that abusers take Robs arm shows that they have calmed down and are more trusting.
  • The victims and abusers have a duet section in which the victims at first refuse to accept their apology because they are scared, but by the end they seem to have resolved their problems - we end our duet with the abusers putting their hands up, and the victims flinching at first, but realising that the abusers haven't moved, they put their hands up to them as well as touch hands.
Ending:
We have decided that we shall end our piece in a similar way to how we began our piece, but we shall do this section in reverse. We thought this would look effective as it shows that although things may take a long time, things can be turned around.

Dialogue:
We thought that we should add dialogue into our piece to ensure that the audience understood what our piece was about. We thought that we could complete the rest of our facts (that we stated a statistic for in the opening scene) in our ending scene. We also thought that we should include some dialogue during our duet/group sections to ensure that the audience understood what each groups section was about. Originally Lewis and I said "I'm sorry" at two moments in our piece - me at the beginning and him at the end. However, we decided to change this. Instead, when I break away and run to the mirror I say "it's going to happen again". The audience may assume that I mean that he is going to abuse me, but my meaning is that I am going to abuse him again. At the end Lewis then breaks the fourth wall by saying "you didn't expect that, did you?". I think it is important to break the fourth wall in this piece as we do not want the audience to get too involved in the piece and should instead be focussing on the meanings and the issues we are actually addressing.