Monday 13 June 2016

Individual Unit (2) (Timeline layout plan)

At the end of this unit, I shall present my research in a timeline. I think that this is the most appropriate way to display my research as I can include all information on it and it would be clear and easy to read. This method also provides a clear visual presentation of the history of musical theatre, making it easier to understand and find specific information you desire to find out. 

The fist image is my original draft for my timeline. I wanted to separate Broadway and West End from each other so I could clearly see the difference between the two. However, I then made a second draft which mirrors the two sets of information, with the date bar in the middle, to make it easier to compare the two sets of information. I thought this would be useful as it would be interesting to see how both Broadway and West End were developing at certain times. After making my second draft, I realised that Music Hall was a type of British entertainment, ad so would not be relevant under the Broadway section of my timeline. I then remembered that opera came before Music Hall and so needed to include this on my timeline as well. As neither of these two sections fit my idea of comparing West End and Broadway, I decided I should make my timeline less focussed on them and more broad to include all of the history (as a lot of musical theatre productions originated in fringe theatres as opposed to being large-scale Broadway and West End productions). Therefore, in my third draft, I have made my timeline very broad and shall write next to the title of each example of types of theatre whether they are West End, Broadway or Fringe. (To make these drafts fairly accurate, in terms of where I placed Opera and Music Hall, I did a tiny bit of research to discover the approximate dates of when these two types of entertainment existed).