Monday 6 June 2016

"Dr Faustus" - Marlowe (14) (Lust)

In this lesson we completed our section of "Lust". What we have done in this section and why is as follows:
  • Rhiannon and I begin in our final positions of wrath (on one knee), and do a body roll (leading with our bums) to stand up - this movement is provocative gives the audience an instant insight into what this sin is about and what is involves
  • Rhiannon and I walk towards each other and circle each other, with the arm nearest the other person across their back - this creates tension and the sense of intimacy
  • We split and bend over, as we stroke our hands down one of our legs, and then roll onto the floor - this is a way to get down to the floor seductively to allow us to do some floor work
  • We end our rolls on our hands and knees, and do two head rolls - this shows desperation and longing, as well as being very provocative
  • I do a stretch, pushing myself up on to one side and holding my hair, whilst Rhiannon crawls towards me - my movements are very suggestive and tempting, whilst Rhiannon has given in to the sin of Lust by coming towards me
  • We do a bit of puppetry work, as I lie on my back and move my chest to follow where Rhiannon's hand moves - this shows that you can't help but give in as well as showing manipulation
  • She pulls me up and we pose leaning on each other. Charlie stands behind us. He splits us up, and Rhiannon and I perform a "round" action (inspired by Frantic Assembly's "round-by-through") across his back to swap places with each other - Charlie has now given in to temptation. The "round" shows that trying to resist is futile, and by getting involved you become trapped in an endless circle.
  • Charlie counts his money whilst Rhiannon and I swap places. We then take his money and suggestively put it in our clothing - to suggest that the sins link as Charlie is being greedy as well. This also portrays giving in to temptation.
  • Rhiannon and I slide our hands down his legs as we crouch down - Charlie gets what he wants as he has paid the price (both literally and metaphorically) by giving in to this sin
  • Rhiannon and I get up (in the same way we did at the beginning) as Robert and James perform a "round" action across our backs, to end with them standing right behind us with one of their hands on our necks and the other on our hips - The "round" action shows that both James and Rob have now been lured in. The hand on the hip shows romance, whilst the hand on the neck shows longing and desperation.
  • Rhiannon is taken back by James (and they do a duet), whilst I am taken back by Rob (and we do a duet). All the while, Charlie has bent over and curled up into a ball - this signifies that now Rhiannon and I have left, Charlie is left empty and used: he has paid the price.
  • Rob leads me backwards then I walk "round" him to stand behind him. I run my hand across his chest and then push him to his knees - this shows dominance and lust.
  • I put my leg over his shoulder and he runs his hands up it, caressing it. I push him down and walk over and then around him. He grabs my arm, and I move "by" him. He pulls me back in and I drop down into our finishing position (him on one knee, with me leant over his other knee, whilst he nestling his face into my neck - this shows obsession, urge and love. 
 What we have left to do of this section is put the recorded narration and the instrumental "Express" track together. We also have to make the piece smooth by ensuring that the two duets (Rob and I, and Rhiannon and James) finish at the same time, and by practising the piece so it is seamless. We will also show Oliver and Lewis the piece, but will ask them to sit either side of the traverse. Then we shall ask them for feedback, not only to ensure that they like what we have created, but to ensure that the section looks interesting and effective for all audience members. 

No comments:

Post a Comment