Thursday 16 June 2016

Contemporary Theatre (25) (Prologue // Character development)

To begin today's lesson, we ran the prologue to see if we all knew/remembered it. We quickly found out that not everyone knew it, therefore, we ran the prologue without the music. We adjusted some sections to make the piece smoother and tidier. We altered the first lift with Rhiannon because it looked a little bit pointless as she was barely visible. We also changed the timing of our arm section to ensure that we were confident with the timing as to make the piece look clearer and more impressive.

After improving our prologue, we made character profiles and did some writing in role (http://lornaclarkra.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/contemporary-theatre-24-character.html). I found these tasks quite challenging as the characters appear in different worlds (as in modern day book club, past reality and Winston's memory) therefore making it difficult to keep what you decided to be true accurate and consistent across the different worlds. I found the tasks quite useful though, as it forced me to make decisions about my character and therefore furthered my understanding of my role of Mother.

When moving as mother, I shall lead with my forehead to present vulnerability and innocence. I have used the Laban Movement Analysis technique to help me decided how I shall move (http://lornaclarkra.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/rudolf-von-laban.html).  I shall have mainly light movements to show my nerves and anxiety, and to emphasise my vulnerability. I shall be mainly direct to show that my focus is getting my family "back to normal". Also, I may be quite sudden to show that I am on-edge and am being pushed to breaking point.