Monday 13 June 2016

"Dr Faustus" - Marlowe (17) (Scenes)

As there were only four of us in this lesson, we decided not to do any physical theatre sections and would instead work on our scripts. Lewis helped Rob go through some Valdes and Cornelius scenes, whilst Ollie and I worked on the sections between Faustus and Murdock. We were confident with how we used our voices, as we had both worked on this at home, however, we were not sure on what we were doing with our movement as we had only ran through these scenes together once (though the last Murdock scene we had not done together at all). Having done research on Laban to help with my movement, I already knew how I would move so only had to work out how Ollie and I would use the space together.

The first section between Murdock and Faustus is on the second page of the script. To make our movement as convincing as possible, we had to work out what our character motivations were at this point. As mentioned in my previous blog, my character is normally either concerned or angry - at this point my character is deeply concerned for Faustus as he has told Murdock that he wishes to gain a better understanding of the "dark arts". For this section, I shall walk closer to Faustus for when I speak to him, but shall face the audience (both sides by pacing between the two) when talking to myself and "aside". By constantly swapping between the two sides, I aim to portray my character's anxiety and deep concern for Faustus.

The next section is on the third page. In this section I don't talk to myself at all and instead speak directly to Faustus. In this section I am still concerned as I find him speaking to himself but I am very obedient by answering him. To show this, I do not look at the audience this time, and instead just face him.

My third section with Faustus is on page five; in this section I go from being concerned to angry. I show this contrast by altering my movements. When concerned, I move in a more fluid way, have my shoulders slumped forward and lead with my forehead (to give myself a lower status). When I become angry, I stand up taller and lead with my chest - I may also do quick sharp hand movements. I believe that the line that I change on is "Yes, you are right". I don't just think this because the voice direction is "angry", but because this is when Murdock completely opens up and says what he thinks. However, on my line before this ("you may be right"), I feel Murdock is being very sarcastic as he knows that Faustus is right in saying they are not similar, but is wrong by implying that Faustus is so much better than Murdock. Therefore, on this line, I roll my eyes and stand my ground with my back to him.

The final section that I am with Faustus for is on page 21. On this page, I have the higher status as Faustus asks if I would stay, but I turn him down by quoting him from earlier. To present myself as being more authoritative, I stand taller than before, with my shoulders back and chin raised slightly.

Once we all practiced our scenes that affected us the most and stood in for other characters, we began discussing the final scene. Ollie suggested having him being just well enough to go back to his office, but he collapses on his chair. Murdock, Valdes, Cornelius and Scholar would than all hear him collapse and would rush in. Faustus will be dragged out of his chair by "demons" (Rhiannon, and possibly me too depending on whether we think Murdock would be there or not) to "Hell" - or behind a curtain, or under the stage (as previously mentioned on one of my earlier blogs - http://lornaclarkra.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/dr-faustus-marlowe-11-act-1.html). In the meantime, Murdock (?), Valdes, Cornelius and Scholar would tend to the chair and attempt to resuscitate where Faustus was, as if they could still see his body, but his spirit has gone. We shall mention this idea to the rest of the class next lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment