Thursday 30 June 2016

Contemporary Theatre (29) (Recording // Physical Scenes)

Today we decided to do all the filming we needed to do for our play. We managed to do all of the sections apart from Ollie's as he was not in this lesson due to a trip. When we filmed Hope and Kat's section (where the Thoughtcriminal gets shot in the head), we had Hope wearing a lab coat (to show authority and to show she is a torturer) and Kat wearing a jacket (to show she is a 'normal' civilian and to cover up her performing arts logo on her top!). We decided that I wouldn't be in the video and instead would say my line as a voice-over. I stood behind the camera when saying this line to make it seem as if my character was filming the event. Next lesson we shall film the sections with Ollie in and shall record the voice-overs.

Whilst we were doing the filming, Rob and Oliver staged their interrogation scene that ends the play. We all said that this scene was far too long - we did
n't think that they would be able to learn all of their lines in time for the performance and also it was a little bit long for the audience too. Therefore, they are going to work together to cut down this scene. We also staged the section just before this as well, when James enters as Parsons. We decided that I would walk him on as I shout "REMAIN STILL" to Winston a few lines back, and then at Parsons. To give me reason to say this line, James moves a little bit in his chair as he attempts to face Robert - however, I shout my line as I push him back in to his original position. When shouting I have to ensure that I am using my diaphragm to ensure that I don't strain or damage my voice.

We are fully aware that we have quite a lot of scenes left to stage, but shall do this next lesson (after recording the voice-overs) as we shall hopefully have everyone - therefore, we shall continue our run from where we left off last time, but staging scenes as we go. Instead, as we were worried we might forget some of it, we decided to run all of the physical theatre sections. We began by running the prologue. We are very glad that we did as we managed to correct the timing and tidy the piece a little bit. We then moved on to the chaotic transition from the canteen scene to an interrogation on page 29. Although this transition is supposed to look chaotic (so we are using Artaud conventions of loud music and lots of bold lighting), it still needs to be safe and ordered from the performers view - therefore we walked through this scene to work out who does what and goes where. I am glad we did this as it has reduced the risk of accidents, as we all know where we need to be and when. We then ran our movement scene that destroys the Book Club. As we has only spent one lesson on this section, a lot of us had forgotten it, so going over it again a couple of times really helped and got it into our muscle memory.