Sunday 26 June 2016

Individual Unit (9) (Social media investigation)

I have decided to broaden my investigation by using social media to find out the public's opinion. The question I wanted to find the public's opinion to was the following: "What was more significant in influencing Musical Theatre as we know it today: Music Hall or Opera?". To ask this question I messaged the Twitter page "Musical Polls" (https://twitter.com/justmusicalpoll). The reason I asked them is because it is a poll page that is aimed at and followed by Musical Theatre fans, thus meaning that people are more likely to respond to it, and those responding are actually interested in Musical Theatre. I asked the page to set the closing date of the poll to Th/30/06/16 as my deadline for the entire unit is Fr/01/07/16. The page posted my question for me and so far (27 minutes after posting the question) 52% vote Music Hall and 48% vote Opera! I shall keep checking on the page to see how this develops and changes. I wasn't going to vote on the page as I didn't want to make the vote biased, but unfortunately, I had to as to be able to see the votes and see how it was developing. However, I made the vote fair by going for the option that I genuinely thought was true, rather than going for what I thought would win. I voted for Opera as it was around before Music Hall and involves lavish costumes, exaggerated gestures, song and sometimes dance. However, I predict that Music Hall will win as it has the word "Music" in it, making it sound more like "Musical Theatre" so people may see the resemblance more.