Friday 28 October 2016

Business (12) - Task D - Personal Statement

Below is my personal statement. It is the statement that I will attach to my UCAS form. I mentioned GSA in my closing sentence as it shows that I am determined to get in and shows that I am bold enough to name-drop, as it were. The reason I can do this on my UCAS form is because I am only applying to one place.
I chose to move school for sixth form in order to really focus on performing arts. I am aiming to complete the BTEC Extended Diploma with the highest possible grades. The three components of the course that I have enjoyed the most are the Musical Theatre Unit (I would like to pursue all three disciplines), the Physical Theatre Unit (I enjoyed learning about the different types and companies such as Frantic Assembly and DV8) and studying Stanislavski. The three parts of the course I would enjoy the most are the public performances and rehearsal projects; I love the thrill of preparing productions for performance. I am especially interested in learning about the voice and how it works. Knowing how the voice and body works gives you a better understanding on how to stay healthy and to improve stamina. Drama is very useful for improving confidence and other essential skills such as good communication and good body language. These skills are really useful for meeting new people and making a good impression.
During my studies, I have taken part in a wide variety of productions and projects which have really extended my skills, taking me out of my comfort zone as a performer in a positive way. I am currently a teaching assistant and choreographer at Margella School of Dance. This job involves working with children of all ages and thus requires good communication skills, patience, drive, good observation and a knowledge of health and safety. I am often given multiple jobs to do at once (dealing with finance, uniform and music), so I have developed the skills of organisation, time management and coping well under pressure.
I recently attended a one day intensive course with Tap Attack. I intend to take part in more workshops to learn as much as I can about the industry and to meet as many industry professionals as possible. I also see as many shows as possible, as I believe the more I watch the professionals the more I can learn from them. I have visited the "Curtain Up" exhibition at the V&A Museum and have seen many West End and Off West End shows, and one Broadway show, "School of Rock". I have been inspired by Sierra Boggess and have watched her documentaries, including her eight day series "DaaƩ Days", seen her perform live and met her in America. I have taken part in multiple dance, vocal and Musical Theatre workshops with professional dancers and West End stars. I subscribe to The Stage Magazine to learn about the industry and keep up to date with current affairs.
I am a student at Razzamataz Theatre School Medway. Attending every week has taught me to work collaboratively, professionally and in a focused manner. Two achievements I have accomplished as a group with Razzamataz are first place Musical Theatre Vocal category at Kent Dance and Vocal Challenge, and Glee Club Challenge Winners 2016, performing in the finals at the Indigo O2. One of my proudest achievements is being Student of the Year at Razzamataz Medway. I was awarded this for my determination, encouraging nature and ability to work as part of a team. I have completed my IDTA ballet grades, been awarded medals in ballet, tap and freestyle with IDTA at distinction level and achieved distinction in my Grade 6 LCM Musical Theatre singing exam.
I have developed a strong passion for opera through my singing lessons. Each week I strive to achieve the targets I set myself. Outside of lessons I do independent research to develop my knowledge on the history and culture of the art. In order to improve my confidence as a solo performer I take every opportunity to sing solo in public, for example competitions and charity events.
I believe that the combination of my passion for performing and general determination to be successful combined ensures that I will value every moment of my opportunity to train, learn and develop at GSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment