Thursday 3 November 2016

Auditions (16) - Finding Contrasting Monologues

For our contrasting monologues, we have to have one classic monologue and one contemporary monologue.

Classic monologues:
The monologue I shall use for my classic monologue is Emilia's monologue from "Othello". I have already done a lot of research on this monologue on previous blog posts - http://lornaclarkra.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/auditions-5-monologue-research.html. I can connect with this monologue because, although I am not the character's age, I share similar views to her - as I believe that men and women should be treated equally.

Contemporary monologue:
Below are the monologues I considered for my first monologue which I could potentially use as my contrasting contemporary monologue:
  • One man two guvnors
    • I have decided against this monologue as it is very similar to my classic monologue in terms of the character's views on men and the general feel of monologue.
  • Power of the dog
    • I like this monologue because it is comedic and the character is my age. It would also be quite funny to do alongside a classic monologue, as the character (Lisa) is moaning about a classic play she had just seen ("Midsummer Night's Dream"). However, there isn't much room for emotional development in this monologue, thus making the monologues quite similar.
  • William Shatner man crush
    • I have decided against this monologue as although it does form a contrast to my classic monologue, I can't really connect to the monologue at all. The monologue is comedic and the character is about my age, but I don't have anything in common with the character and so don't think I would be able to play the character convincingly.
  • Why is John Lennon Wearing a Skirt?
    • Although I really like this monologue and could connect with it, yet again, I think it is far too similar to my classic monologue as it also focusses on the difference between men and women. 
  • A Doll's House
    • This monologue forms a massive contrast to the classic monologue. It is contrasting because the emotions vary throughout, it is very serious and the emotions are contrasting in themselves to the "Othello" monologue. In this monologue, the character (Nora) is leaving her husband (which was not the done thing when the play was set). However, I don't think this monologue counts as contemporary as it premiered in 1879. If I did count then this would be one of my preferred monologues.
I have found another monologue this evening that is contemporary, comical and contrasting compared to my classic monologue. This monologue is called "It's Terrible Being Nice" and is from the play "Goodbye Charles" by Gabriel Davis. In this monologue, the character (Jill) is asking her partner not to marry her because since being with him she has been made "nice" and she wants to go back to being "a bitch". A short synopsis of the play is found on the following website: https://www.coursehero.com/file/9580445/Play-Reflection/. To summarise further, the play is basically a broken up conversation between friends Barb and Jill about their partners, David and Charles.

For next lesson, all we had to do was find two monologues we were thinking of doing and be vaguely familiar with them. I will bring my "Othello" monologue and the monologue from "Goodbye Charles".

No comments:

Post a Comment