Tuesday 15 November 2016

Auditions (20) - King Lear Monologue

In this lesson we had Tom in to watch our classical monologues. I was told that I really captured the essence of the monologue as I wasn't just saying it - I knew what my monologue was about. However, I was told to think more about my character's age and status, as I was coming across like a teenager rather than a powerful woman. It was then suggested to me that I should try being more frustrated rather than being angry on the first line. I have to keep quite measured and really work on my movement.

To enable myself to work more on my movement, I am trying to learn my monologue off by heart as soon as possible. However, when I say movement, this doesn't mean moving about the stage - what I am planning to do is use a lot of hand gestures but with a lot of tension.

Tom suggested that we watched some clips of Jeremy Iron as he performs Shakespeare really naturally. Below is the clip that I watched. I agree with what Tom was saying - that Iron performs Shakespeare as if it were a modern text.

No comments:

Post a Comment