Thursday 17 November 2016

Auditions (21) - King Lear Vocal Only

The first thing I did in this lesson was work on my opening line of my monologue. I was told previously that I should be less angry with the monologue and try being more frustrated instead. I was anxious about this opening line as I didn't know how I was going to say it in a way that I would capture the audience's attention instantly but not be too angry with it. Below is how my line changed over this workshop section:
  1. Rather angry - how I had rehearsed it before just to get back in to the swing of this monologue
  2. More frustrated - attempted to be more frustrated but still struggling with it
  3. Walking in - said the line in a similar way as before but whist walking in to get the right sort of feeling
  4. Emphasise "d" of "day" - same as number three but articulated the plosive sound of "d" to sound more frustrated
  5. On the spot - exact same as number four but without walking in at the same time
After working on the first line I performed my entire monologue to Miss McSherry and Mr McKay. They both said that this was a lot better than I have done it before but I needed to consider where my character has a change of thought. This monologue should be like an emotional roller-coaster. I therefore went and annotated my monologue:


I performed this monologue again, and my feedback was that it was a lot better than before, but I need to watch my diction at times (especially on my "l's"). Next lesson I shall go over mainly the vocal side of the monologue again to engrave it in my mind, but I shall also begin including some movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment