Thursday 24 November 2016

Auditions (24) - Struggling to find a monologue

As Tom, Mr McKay and Miss Cordell were in this lesson, we were asked to perform our classical monologues. Unfortunately, where we didn't expect to be asked to do this, all of our monologues were a little rusty. Below was the feedback I received from my classical monologue:
  • Movement   -   "Don't be afraid to move" // "T-Rex arms"   -   I was quite static during this performance (apart from the walk in). I barely moved from the spot I walked to and the only real movement I did was moving my arms and hands. I've been told not to be afraid to move. Before performing this again, I shall annotate my monologue and work out where I want to move in the monologue and where and how I shall move. 
  • Address   -   "Don't direct the first line to anyone"   -   Tom suggested that I should say the first line as if I am saying it to myself. Although they liked the way I addressed them, I didn't have to address them for the entire time.
  • Class   -   "Lost the teenager element" // "Be annoyingly upper class"   -   I was told that by lowering the pitch of my monologue I did lose the teenager element, but I could still afford to be a lot more upper class. 
  • Energy   -   "More energy needed" // "Be more sharp"   -   The last time I performed this monologue I had the right level of energy as there was a "fire in [my] belly" and all of my words had a bite to them. However, the energy slipped a bit this time, thus making my character seem not as high-class as before. 
  • Diction   -   "Diction on first line" // "Nice through teeth but be clear"   -   I have a tendency to speak quite quickly during this monologue as my character is angry, thus making all of the words merge together a little bit. I had the right intention, as I spoke my words through my teeth when I was really angry. However, I still need to watch my diction when doing this to ensure that every word is heard.
After performing our classical monologues we spoke about our contemporary monologues. I got too nervous to perform the comedic contemporary monologue I had chosen ("I ate the divorce papers") as I didn't think it would suit me. I asked if I had to do comedy or can it just be contrasting in terms of character, situation and emotion. I was told this was okay so decided to do some research in to contemporary monologues that would contrast with my "King Lear" monologue. I would have liked to have done the monologue I looked at before from "A Doll's House" but it is too similar to my classical monologue and might not even be considered as contemporary (as it was written in 1879). I was suggested a monologue from "Look Back in Anger" spoken by the character "Alison". Below is the research I have done on this monologue, and another monologue I am considering:
  • ((John Osbourne -- Look Back In Anger -- Alison))
    • https://www.scribd.com/doc/149549335/Acting-for-Singers-Monologues
    • This monologue was recommended to me by my teacher, as she could tell I was getting stressed out not being able to find a good monologue for me. She knows that I like dramatic monologues with something I can really get my teeth into. 
    • In this monologue, the character Alison explains to her husband about her miscarriage.
  • ((Claire Dowie -- Why is John Lennon Wearing a Skirt?))
    • https://alwaysworkingartists.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/why-is-john-lennon-wearing-a-skirt.pdf
    • This monologue is one that I picked but then discarded a long time ago before coming up with my "Assassins" monologue. Originally I thought it just had themes of anger, confusion and oppression, but having read it again, I can see there are a lot of opportunities to change my tone and possibly make it quite comical. I would have to do the latter, rather than taking the angry approach, to avoid it being similar to my classical monologue. If I do take the opportunities and make it a bit comical then it would be contrasting.
    • In this monologue, the character explains why she hates being a woman and would rather be a man.
I am hoping to try both monologues next lesson to see which one I prefer out of the two. I know a little bit of background information on both of the characters, but I am purposely not doing too much research into either of them yet so I can see what I can do with just the text alone before I add the extra dimension formed with context. I am quite annoyed at myself for not pushing and challenging myself to do the "I ate the divorce papers" monologue, so I might come back to this one another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment